How to apply for free school meals
Are you on a low income or receiving any of these benefits?
If you are on a low income or receive Child Benefit and any of the following benefits, you could claim free school meals for your child.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers' Allowance
- Child Tax credit
- Pension Credit (guaranteed credit)
- Employment and Support Allowance
Who may qualify for free school meals?
- Children of parents whose only or main income is one of the benefits listed over the page.
- Children of parents whose combined income from work is £16,190 or less a year.
- Children of asylum seekers.
- Children who live outside Barking and Dagenham but who meet the previous criteria and are attending a school in the borough.
Who is unlikely to qualify for free school meals?
- Children of parents whose combined income from work is more than £16,190 a year.
- Children of parents who receive Working Tax Credit.
- Children who live in Barking and Dagenham but attend a school outside the borough (you would need to claim from the local authority the school is in).
It's easy to apply for free school meals.
Follow the link below now and complete and submit the online application form. It will only take a couple of minutes.
Have your National Insurance and Child Benefit number to hand.
We will treat the application and award of free school meals sensitively.
Complete an application form. The form explains who is eligible and who may not be eligible.